Background, Geographic Area and Location: Kushtia zila comprises of only the sadar sub-division of former Kushtia zila. It is generally believed that the zila Kushtia might have derived its name from the word "Kushta" meaning Jute which was abundantly grown in this area.
The zila is bounded on the north by Rajshahi, Natore and Pabna zilas, on the east by Pabna and Rajbari zilas, on the south by Jhenaidah, Chuadanga and Meherpur zilas and on the west by Chuadanga and Meherpur zilas and India. It lies between 23°42´ and 24°12´ north latitude and between 88°42´ and 89°22´ east longitudes. The total area of the zila is 1608.80 sq.km (621.00 sq.miles).
Main Rivers: Ganges, Garai, Mathabhanga, Kaliganga and Kumar.
Annual Average Temperature: Maximum 37.8ºC and lowest 11.2ºC; annual rainfall 1467 mm.
Kushtia Municipality was established in 1969. Hamilton's Gazetteer has the mention of Kushtia (Kustee) town and local people call the town as Kushte. Kushtia is not an ancient town. It developed as a river port during the reign of Emperor Shahjahan. The East India Company made intensive use of the port but the growth of the town owes much to the settlement by the indigo planters and traders. The town was connected with Calcutta by rail in 1860; since then it experienced quick development and became a good location for mills and factories including those like the Renwick and Company (1904), Jagneshwar Engineering Works (1896) and the Mohini Mills (1919). The town got a new momentum for development with the establishment of the headquarters of the Ganges-Kobadak Project and a number of government offices in 1954.
Administration: Kushtia was once a part of the Nadia zila of the undivided India. It became a new zila in 1947 consisting of Kushtia Sadar, Chuadanga and Meherpur subdivisions. All these three subdivisions are now independent zilas. The zila consists of 6 upazilas, 66 unions, 707 mauzas, 978 villages, 5 paurashavas, 54 wards and 77 mahallas. The upazilas are KUSHTIA SADAR, KUMARKHALI, DAULATPUR, MIRPUR, BHERAMARA and KHOKSA.
Archaeological Heritage and Relics: Kuthibari of Rabindranath Tagore at Shilaidaha, tomb of Lalon Shah. Shahi Mosque (Mughal period), house of Mir Mosharraf Hossain at Lahinipara, tomb of Nafar Shah at Aruapara, tomb of Darvish Sonabandhu at Kumarkhali Bazaar, tomb of Jangli Shah at Safiyat Village, Jourgebari of Chandpur Village, Mahishkundi Indigo Kuthi, Kalidevi Mandir.
Historical Events: INDIGO RESISTANCE MOVEMENT spread in Bengal in 1860 and Shalghar Madhua organised the largest movement in the Kushtia zila. Inspired by the movement, all indigo farmers in the Kushtia area refused to pay government taxes. The British government sent an army platoon under the command of GG Morrison, to investigate into the matter. Farmers could successfully negotiate with him, committed to start paying taxes provided the indigo planters would stop torturing them and had sent the army back.
Marks of War of Liberation: Mass grave 10, monument 1, most noted memorial sculpture is the 'Muktabangla' at the Islami University.
Main Crops: Paddy, jute, sugarcane, pulses and oil seed.
Main Fruits: Mango, banana, jackfruit, lichi.
Traditional Transport: Palanquin, boat, bullock cart, horse carriage. These means of transport are either extinct or nearly extinct.
Main Export Items: Tobacco, betel leaf, banana and sugarcane.